Salam and hello!
Judging by the title, I guess my fellow readers should know by now the reason behind my hiatus.
Being a new mom just opened up a whole new world (literally). So many new terms, so many things to learn lol. One of it is the maternity support belt. As far as I can tell I don’t remember seeing or hearing about the older generation using this particular product. Especially in Malaysia.
What is a Maternity Support Belt?
Support Belts are designed to support the lower back and abdomen during pregnancy. These flexible support garments may provide many benefits to active women who are pregnant, especially during the second and third trimesters. Which is perfect for me as I’m still active at work instead of working out these days.
Before we dive in into the product, let me share with you how can this little bugger help with supporting your belly.
1. Helps decrease your pain
First thing I’d experienced when I just started being pregnant is the back pain ? especially now that my belly is growing so the back pain is getting frequent. Back and joint pain during pregnancy can be frustrating and make it difficult to participate in everyday activities. Wearing a support belt during pregnancy may help support your lower back and baby bump during activities, which can result in decreased pain overall.
Sacroiliac (SI) joint pain also frequently occurs during pregnancy as a result of the increase of relaxin, an appropriately named hormone that causes the hip joints to become loose and less stable. How does it feel like? It’s a sharp and sometimes excruciating pain in the lower back adjacent to the tailbone. I usually get this when I stand too long. Hence support belts that support this region help stabilize the joint, which may prevent pain during activities.
Round ligament pain is also another symptom that usually occurs during the second trimester. It’s described as anything from a dull ache to a sharp pain on the front of the hip and below the belly. This is caused by the extra weight and pressure on the ligaments that support the growing uterus, it’s a temporary but sometimes unbearable problem. Support belts help to distribute the weight of the baby across the back and abdomen, which may help relieve the pressure on the round ligaments and reduce pain.
2. Provides gentle compression during activities
Ever go for a run without a sports bra? Sounds awful, right? The same principle applies to a growing baby bump. The gentle compression of a support belt can help support the uterus and reduce discomfort from movement during physical activity.
A word of caution: Too much compression on the abdomen can impair circulation, and it can cause negative effects on blood pressure. It can also contribute to heartburn and indigestion.
3. They provide external cues for posture
Support belts provide external cues to your body to facilitate proper posture. By supporting the lower back and torso, the belt encourages correct posture and prevents over-extension of the lower back. The typical “swayback” appearance of pregnancy is due to the extra weight being carried in front of the body in combination with the stretching and weakening of key core muscles that support the spine.
4. They allow you to engage comfortably in daily activities
Exercise during pregnancy has many positive health benefits – it increases muscle tone and endurance and decreases the incidence of hypertension, depression, and diabetes. Many women are unable to exercise or continue working during pregnancy due to pain and discomfort. Wearing one can help to decrease discomfort and to allow participation in daily activities, resulting in physical and financial benefits.
Important things to know about wearing a support belt:
- Wear a support garment for no more than two to three hours at a time to prevent over-dependence.
- Exercises to strengthen the transverse abdominal should be done in combination with the use of a belly band to strengthen the core muscles both during and after pregnancy.
- Always consult your doctor before using any compression garments. Women with compromised circulation or abnormal blood pressure may be advised against the use of a support belt.
- Support belts are for temporary use and aren’t a permanent fix. It’s important to address the underlying dysfunction. A referral to physical therapy is recommended to address ongoing pain both during and after pregnancy.
“Mamaway Maternity Support Belt can decrease mother’s low back pain and pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy. This maternity belly support belt is also a medical grade prescription product which recommended by Australian obstetricians, health professionals and physiotherapist around the world.”
Belt velcro, left side is how it looks like uncovered, right side covered when not in used.
Maximum comfort while in use!
It has two colours – Nude and Gray. Got mine in Nude, so it’s easier to blend in with my clothes 😛 for those who are curious about this belt, you can check out the video here:
With the size increment of the belly, it is bound to cause back pain due to the gravity. I’ve had my moments when I get too tired with the growing belly, so when I used this belt it helps to elevate my growing belly slightly hence the back pain is lessen. It is especially helpful when I am at work as I still somewhat carry light weighted boxes ?
Recommended by health professionals and physiotherapist around the world; TGA certified in Australia (medical grade prescription product).
- Recommended by Australian obstetricians to relieve pressure and discomfort during pregnancy.
Made with stretchy and breathable materials designed to lift the weight of your growing belly like a firm pair of hands. Easing some of the pressure on your back, pelvis and spine, so you can get on with your day.
- Ergonomic bump support moulds to your body and won’t slip off, dig or roll, perfect for stabilizing your belly during sleep.
- Eliminates pressure points and eases sciatic, back & pelvic pain, assists with correcting your posture.
- Improves blood circulation and relieves bladder discomfort.
- Contains Papolis (deep sea squalene fibers) to hydrate your sensitive, stretching skin.
- Ultra thin design to be worn under clothing, gentle materials that won’t trap heat or irritate fragile stretching skin.
- One belt covers a wide range of sizes, so you can buy it early in your pregnancy and keep on wearing.
- Passed CNS15290 Taiwan Textile Safety Text (Formaldehyde and Azo dyes free).
Source: Malaysia Blogger – Hana Blurbs